TRX, Agility Ladders and more – we’re taking gymless training up a notch so you can shape a tight, toned and super strong physique this summer – outdoors!
Fresh air is invigorating while vitamin D provided by the sun is an essential nutrient to the body. What’s more, the warm feeling of the sun can provide an encouraging lift in attitude that will help supercharge your exercise efforts. So with that in mind, this month we share the latest info on some exceptional take-anywhere equipment options, plus an intense training trio to guarantee stealthy results. So get stoked because we’re thinking outside the “box” by dropping the traditional indoor exercises of free weights and resistance machines to deliver a multi-faceted approach to strength and cardiovascular conditioning – outdoors!
Fit & Functional
Every rep, every set, every workout, to get the most out of your training you need to be challenged on all three planes of motion: transverse (internal/external rotation), frontal (abduction/adduction), and sagittal ( flexion/extension). These are the three primary planes of motion the body is divided into, and are important because all motion occurs around one of these three planes. No matter your current level of fitness, keeping this knowledge in mind will lead to increased fitness while creating balance and stability over your entire body. This means that you’ll be able to perform the regular functions of your day with more ease.
Military & Sport-Inspired Fitness
No matter what you do, body resistance training can be highly effective for use in rehab and sport conditioning. You simply match the type and intensity of each exercise to your specific need. We’ve listed many great advantages of bodyweight-only training below. Plus, if athletes and the military can build their eye-turning physiques with this style of training, you can too!
Advantages: Increased body awareness, strength, agility, speed, balance, co-ordination, rehab, muscle tone, size and endurance, weight loss, can perform anywhere – indoors or out, serious fun!
So, if you’re ready for a fun and savvy way to get fit, check out the body-tightening trifecta top eLifestyle personal trainer, Robb Armstrong, has assembled in Robb’s Hard Body Connection below. Plus, each exercise also comes complete with required equipment for each of the moves in the three stations!
Robb’s Hard Body Connection
How To: First, find an open space outdoors. For executing the TRX moves you will require a space that has a fixed object like a tree a limb, monkey bars, swing set, etc.
Next, perform each move in the circuit for the duration of 1 minute until the end, taking just 30 seconds max rest between each exercise. After each full circuit, rest for 3 minutes (less if desired) and then continue on for 3 rounds.
TIP: Always brace your torso by contracting your core (back and abdominal muscles) as you perform each move.
Station #1 – TRX: Squat Jumps & Rows Combo (30 sec. each move)
1. Outdoors – Suspend the TRX from a sturdy tree limb, monkey bars, swing set frame, etc.
2. Begin by holding TRX straps, standing in a shoulder-width squat stance. Slowly lower into a squat (stopping at approx. a 90º at the knee for safety), and quickly jump taking both feet off of the ground.
3. Be sure to land with your feet flat with the majority of weight on your heels, back into a squatting position.
Next, switch to Rows:
1. Holding the TRX handles in each hand, face the anchor point. Standing with both feet close together facing forward, maintain this foot position throughout the exercise.
2. Increasing the angle of your body to add more resistance, pull your body forward by pulling your arms to your side and squeezing your shoulder blades together.
Need some ideas? Get more TRX moves and more from eLifestyle! Squats HERE and Rows HERE!
Station #2 – Equalizer Bars: Push-Ups (30 sec. continuous for this move)
1. Set up the Equalizer bars so that the crossbars are parallel and the rubber feet of each bar are touching.
2. Stand facing the bars, your body positioned between them, your feet about two to three feet away from the nearest support.
3. Bend forward and grasp the foam hand holds, then straighten your legs and body so that your body forms a straight line from your heels to your head, your arms fully extended.
4. Bend your elbows and lower your torso toward the bars. When your chest reaches bar-height, press yourself back to the starting position.
Station #3 – 15 Feet Agility Ladder: Hop Scotch Drill (1 min. continuous for this move)
1. Start with your feet hip width apart at the bottom of the ladder.
2. Jump up with both feet and land on the left foot only in the first square.
3. Immediately push off with your left foot and land with both feet in the second square.
4. Immediately push off with both feet and land on your right foot only.
5. Push off from your right foot and land on both feet.
6. Repeat this pattern for the full length of the ladder.
Big Time Bodyweight Training
To build diversity in your efforts and a bigger circuit with more stations, here’s just a few of the awesome bodyweight fitness-boosting pieces of equipment we used today that you can pull together to up your game:
15 Feet Agility Ladder: Designed to improve speed, agility, co-ordination and overall quickness, the flat rung ladder uses cloth covered weighted slats that stay flat and won’t move during even the toughest quick feet drills!
TRX System – Professional Package: A total body training system that dramatically boosts your fitness level with over 300 exercises. “All Core All The Time”!
Equalizer Bars: Developed for bodyweight strength training in mind, but this versatile set of bars can also be used for cardiovascular training, muscle strength and endurance and stretching.
Most people plan to exercise outdoors when the good weather hits, but few seldom make that a reality. Don’t fall off the fitness wagon this summer! Your take-anywhere-anytime approach to your training equipment will greatly advance your fitness level while keeping you on par with your goals. Keeping a variety of training tools on hand that can easily travel with you from your personal home space to the back yard, the cottage, or even the park, will have you super fit – not to mention turning heads this summer!
Nutrition & Weight Loss Tools
Exercise alone cannot ensure you’ll hit your goals. You must follow a balanced nutrition program specifically tailored to produce the dramatic results you want. And we have the eTransformation Customized 12-Week Online Weight Loss & Lifestyle Program to make it a reality, fast!