This month we give you some great tips to help you stay on track when the upcoming season of laxed diet and exercise programs can threaten to put your fitness and nutrition in a deep freeze.
Holiday Health & Fitness Prep – Start Now. You’ll Be Glad You Did!
At eLifestyle, we get it. It’s a super busy time of year with so much on the go. However, like any other thing that is important in your life, having a plan ready ahead of time will really take the pressure off. What’s more, your fitness efforts during the hectic holidays can yield some serious
yuletide surprises if you prioritize your winter workouts and your nutrition before hand. This month we’ve got a few gift-wrapped solutions to help you cruise with ease through the holidays while keeping your fitness and nutrition on track!
A Healthy Approach
In order to amp up your holiday health meter, focus on ways to improve your fitness both inside and out. You’ll make great strides by first learning your personal dietary needs and then adding some form of fitness like running/jogging, Yoga, Pilates, and/or a balanced resistance training program, etc.
Fitness Food Factor
In order for your nutrition to match your ambition, you’ll need to fine-tune your eating routine by setting out an easy-to-follow system of quick go-to meals like this one. First and foremost is timing – and it’s a real science. As a matter of fact, there are two times in your day when nutrition counts the most: right off the hop in the A.M. and then post-workout. While your morning meal can ensure that adequate glycogen stores (the source of energy most often used for exercise) are available for optimal performance and focus to start your day, the post-exercise meal is critical to recovery and improves your ability to train consistently.
To keep the rest of the day on track, the right combination of carbs, proteins and fats eaten at regular intervals throughout the day will ensure energy levels are kept high. Skipping meals will only zap your energy when you least expect it, not to mention actually slowing your metabolism over time rather than revving it up as intended! Healthy snacks eaten between meals will stabilize your blood sugar levels so you won’t experience energy “highs” and “lows.” What’s more, accepting your diet and exercise modifications as permanent lifestyle choices will ensure you’ll be more successful at keeping the weight off. Follow this plan and you’ll be taking a couple notches of your belt in no time!
eLifestyle’s Top 10 Bulge Beaters
It’s been proven that during the festive holiday season the average person will gain 7-8 pounds as a result of indulging more and exercising less. By following our ten best tips to defeating temptation, you’ll be sure to maintain your holiday motivation!
1. Drink plenty of water. Though something everyone should do year round, doing so will actually help suppress your appetite.
2. Limit alcohol consumption. Remember that alcohol contains almost as many calories per gram as fat!
3. Snack on fruits, vegetables and high-fiber foods whenever possible. Dried fruits are healthy and a good alternative to many sweet snacks such as cookies and candy.
4. Understand that you’re probably going to miss some workouts during this time and plan now to work around it. Schedule different times or substitute another activity, even if it’s at home.
5. Enjoy the outdoors as much as possible. Bundle up and take the dog for a walk, and try skating or sledding with the kids. Squeezing any extra activity into your schedule helps.
6. Eat a nutritious meal or snack before you attend events or parties where there is a lot of food. Treat it as if going grocery shopping on a full stomach. You won’t be tempted as much if your tank is nearly full.
7. Don’t stay out too late. Adequate sleep is an important component for healthy weight loss and maintenance.
8. Try in-home personal training. It combines education and motivation with cardio and resistance-training opportunities in the safety and privacy of your own home, and is essential to maintaining a healthy way of life. If you’re thinking about getting into a healthy routine, fall is a great time to sign up with eLifestyle!
9. If you currently work with a trainer, don’t put your training sessions on hold. Getting out of contact with your key motivator for exercise is proven to get you out of the groove with your goals.
10. Keep your stress levels low. Like most things in life, balance, variety and moderation apply to holiday celebrations as well. Spend time with family and friends and enjoy the holidays.
BONUS TIP: Give yourself the gift of fitness and nutrition with eLifestyle’s most popular 12-Week eTransformation Online Weight Loss & Lifestyle Program!
Keeping a close eye on the make-up of your calorie intake will keep the pounds off and energy levels running full-tilt. Check out the three valuable take-anywhere tips below.
- Carb Control: If part or even your entire primary goal is weight loss, do not consume fast-digesting carbs later in the evening or night unless you exercise in the evening.
- Portion Control: When on the go, memorize approximate portion guidelines, such as a serving of meat is the size of a deck of cards, for example.
- Processed Foods: Strictly control consumption to reduce/control sodium intake, improve functioning of your digestive system, and reduce risk of certain cancers.
Don’t let your fitness program suffer a holiday hangover this season by waiting until the New Year
to change things up. Making it a balanced lifestyle choice can guarantee measurable success when you plan ahead!