Shanghai Thick Noodles
(*Taken from Phase 3 of the eLifestyle eTransformation Weight Loss & Lifestyle Program)
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Shanghai-style noodles
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- ½ tsp salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Pinch of cornstarch
- 1 ½ tsp sesame oil, or as needed
- 1 bag of coleslaw
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 green onion
- 6 tbsp oil for stir-frying, or as needed
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce, mixed with 1 ½ tbsp water
- Extra soy sauce, salt or sugar for seasoning, as desired
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized cubes (about 1-inch). Add the marinade ingredients. Marinate the chicken for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the remainder of the ingredients…
- In a large saucepan, cook the noodles in boiling water, stirring to separate, until they are tender, but still firm.
- Drain thoroughly. Rinse with cold water, drain again, and toss with the sesame oil.
- Wash and finely shred the cabbage. Peel and mince the garlic. Cut the green onion on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
- In a heavy frying pan or a wok, heat 2 ½ tbsp oil over medium-high to high heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic. Stir-fry until aromatic (about 30 seconds).
- Add the chicken cubes. Stir-fry until they turn white and are nearly cooked through. Remove from the wok.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil. When the oil is hot, add the cabbage. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Season with a bit of soy sauce and/or sugar while stir-frying if desired. Remove from the wok.
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in the wok. When the oil is hot, add the noodles. Stir-fry quickly, stirring to coat the noodles in the oil and make sure they don’t stick to the pan.
- Add the hoisin sauce, again tossing to coat the noodles. Taste and add salt and/or soy sauce as desired.
- Add the cooked chicken and cabbage. Add the green onion and stir to heat through. Serve hot.
To find out serving size and calories, join eLifestyle’s eTransformation Weight Loss & Lifestyle Program today! http://elifestyle.ca/start-losing-weight-today/