Eating well doesn’t have to be hard work. If you’re looking to add some extra flavor and variety to your dinner meal, try this healthy recipe for your next last-minute dinner. Simply create whenever the mood strikes and enjoy!
Broccolli, Tofu & Red Pepper Stir-Fry
- 12 oz ( 350 g) extra-firm tofu
- 2 tbsp ( 30 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ( 15 ml) cornstarch
- 1 onion
- 2 sweet red peppers
- 10 oz ( 284 g pkg) or 1 big bunch of broccolli
- 2 tbsp ( 30 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ( 1 to 2 ml) hot red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp ( 2 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp ( 1 ml) black pepper
- 2 tsp ( 10 ml) capers
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- Note: Prepare 4 servings of your favorite rice separately, to be used to complete the recipe
- Cut drained tofu into 1/2-inch (1-cm) cubes. In a small mixing bowl, stir lemon juice with cornstarch. Then add tofu and toss until evenly coated. Let sit, uncovered and stirring occasionally for 1 hour so lemon flavor permeates tofu.
- Thinly slice onion. Seed and slice peppers into thin strips. If using regular spinach, remove and discard stems. Tear leaves into halves or quarters. Chop the broccoli into small pieces . You should have about 3 cups. Have all vegetables prepared and ingredients measured before beginning to stir-fry.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or wok set over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and chili flakes. Stir 1 minute. Add peppers and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Continue stir-frying until peppers are hot, about 2 minutes.
- Add tofu and gently stir-fry until hot, about 1 minute. Add capers, then broccoli in handfuls as needed, stirring until all broccoli has softened, about 3-4 more minutes. Serve right away over hot rice.
Cooking time is 5 minutes. Preparation time is 20 minutes. Marinating time is 1 hour.