Curried Chicken Pitas. [Serves 4]
- 6 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 cups cooked, cubed chicken breast (see Tip)
- 1 ripe but firm pear, diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- 4- to 5-inch whole-wheat pita breads, cut in half
- 2 cups sprouts
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise and curry powder in a large bowl. Add chicken, pear, celery, cranberries and almonds; toss to combine.
- Fill each pita half with 1/2 cup chicken salad and 1/4 cup sprouts.
Tips & Notes:
Prep Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the salad (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Tips: If you don’t have cooked chicken, poach about 12 ounces chicken breast for this recipe. Place boneless, skinless chicken breast in a medium skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water (or chicken broth) to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes.
Notes: To toast sliced or slivered almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Extra Notes: For a unique texture and flavor, try adding low-fat goat cheese crumbles!