This week we’re putting your abs on blast so you can get the results this spring that will be sure to last!
Spring Cleaning Your Ab Routine
There are no tricks or gimmicks involved in a true ab-defining plan. And with the key word here being “plan,” we’ll help you get on point by spring cleaning your current ab routine. But first, once you take the fitness fluff out of the mix like ridiculous (and dangerous) cleansing protocols, juice-only options, and caffeine-laden “fat burning” supplements saturating the quick-fix market today, you’re left with what’s really been proven to work – proper nutrition and exercise!
Your 3 Ab-Defining Plan Must-Haves
One of the great things about fitness is that there are numerous ways to achieve your exercise goals. However, if you tend to be the type who builds your exercise routine through randomly watching others, you may want to rethink your strategy.
To avoid learning bad habits and poor techniques, best practice is to consult with an educated (and certified) fitness professional to build a plan that:
1. Is customized for your abilities. This way you’ll be sure they have the knowledge to properly instruct you on the exercises best suited for your ability and your goal.
2. Uses a phased approach. Your trainer will be able to set the right course and outline the progression of exercises and intensities to come as you progress along your plan.
3. Incorporates nutritional guidance. Your trainer will be able to get your nutritional habits on point so you’ll be sure to not only make great progress in terms of your overall health, but improve your strength and conditioning, and manage weight loss as well. This will be the most direct way to reveal your hard work in sculpting a tight, toned midsection.
2 Core Tips to Tone & Tighten:
1. Breathing. Focus on breathing out on exertion (the “push” part of the movement), and breathing in when returning to rest (the “relaxed” part of the movement).
Result: This leads to better control over abdominal muscles so you’re able maintain control of your midsection at any time. This leads to better isolation of the core muscles so you’ll achieve better, faster results.
2. Squeeze each repetition. For every repetition be sure to pause briefly each time.
Result: A mind-to-muscle connection is created that over time enables more control over your muscles. Plus, you’ll better understand what you should feel while performing a given exercise in the correct manner.
Weight Loss Quick Tip
You cannot spot-reduce belly fat! Just simply performing abdominal exercises will not burn the unwanted fat from this problem area. You actually need to perform structured exercises for each muscle group and add in proper nutrition with a cardio regime. This will allow you to burn more calories than you are consuming daily, leading to weight loss and reduced inches in all areas!
Exercise Quick Tip
Intensity is Key. Higher repetitions and little rest between each ab move allows for greater caloric expenditure and cardiovascular output which leads to a higher level of not only core fitness, but heart health as well.
Looking for some ab exercises? Check this out!
By Robb Armstrong – eLifestyle Master Fitness Trainer